DubsNorth

Vermont Based VW & Audi Club
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Project stove truck
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:58 am 

So, my little side business of repairing/rebuilding Hearthstone stoves is picking up. combine that, with lots of tools, and needing the space to transport a stove or two, I have determined my truck needs an overhaul.

Said truck is a 97' LD f-250, or "heavy half ton" with an 8ft box, 8ft plow. It has just under 200k miles, so its time for some maintenance.

So far I have done front brakes, BOTH exhaust manifolds/gaskets, front hub/wheel bearing, starter, battery, fuel tank. Now the fun begins. I am replacing the rotten box with a steel service body, to house all my tools, and still be able to carry 2 stoves. In addition, the fuel pump is acting up. I am troubling shooting it now, as it has power-until I connect the ground, then it quits. I can run power straight to the pump and it works, but if I connect the factory plug to it, and ground it-it quits.

I am thinking about mounting a small air compressor in one of the boxes, but unsure as of now. Last night the box came off, to expose the frame, and fuel pump. I am going to clean the frame up, and put a coat of paint on it, as well as replace things I now have access to, like e brake cables, brake lines-if I need to.

Last night I grabbed a 12 pack and a friend, and started cutting:

I may do a color change, when its all together. We will see..

oh, and if you have a Hearthstone that needs work, or you wanna buy one, hit me up...

Post subject: Re: Project stove truck
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:08 pm 
DN Admin
DN Admin

beer + power tools = something is going to bleed

Interesting project. Building service body from scratch or picking something up?

$4k for these:
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/li ... -114746426

I'm sure there are much cheaper options.... just first one that popped up with internet search.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:48 am 

Steve, I bought a used one (same vintage as truck) in great shape, for $300.00. It is solid, and heavy...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:08 pm 

So, time to update this thread. Everything was going well on the truck build, until I started peeling back the carpet. I found huge holes in the floor boards. Both drivers side, and passengers side had extreme amounts of corrosion. Fixable? Yes, but why? I do not have the skills to weld, or the tools. Paying someone $500+ to weld in new floor pans, will make it nothing more than a 97' LD f-250 with new floors. High milage and rust issues made this build un-realistic.

So, I took a few weeks off from the truck, and stove repairs to get married, which was awesome. Now stove repairs are coming and coming, so I had to do something. I sold the truck, and pulled the trigger on a brand new 2015 Silverado 1500. Its sick. 5.3l V8-stupid power, beautiful interior-power everything, and a color that ISN'T black or red. I will be putting in a tool box, and step tubes, and call it a day.

The front end is my favorite part. Big, in your face grill.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:48 pm 
DN Admin
DN Admin

Big change from the original truck... very nice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 pm 
Turbo VR6 Master
Turbo VR6 Master

I've been resisting the new truck purchase but my $700 Sonoma is running on borrowed time it seems...nice pick up on the new Chevy.