DubsNorth

Vermont Based VW & Audi Club
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: 82 4door rabbit TD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:41 pm 

So here is my project. I'm doing it my way. I might be a hack, you might think I'm a hack, whatever...I don't care. I'm just sharing my project...and representing another 4door. This is my project to turn my free car into a nice daily driver. This car is being built on a low budget, and by a Jeep guy who typically makes things to function with no regards to looks. This is my first VW project of this type, ie body work and re-assembly of the whole car.

I've been working on putting an '82 rabbit TD together for quite a few months now, so I figured I'd post up a build page.

This was from the day I picked the car up. It's an '82 with a swapped in turbo diesel from a factory TD rabbit.

Shortly after picking the car up I started in on body work. The car was already a started project and had been torn apart. A good friend of mine started the project, but lost interest (more so not enough time) after ending up with a lot of other cool projects that took priority (a diesel mini, a TDI rabbit, etc). I had an '81 rabbit in the driveway already, and decided to strip parts from that to put this new car together. First was a door swap because my '81 doors were pretty nice, and close to rust free:

Then I did a lot of sanding and used a dremel to clean up all the spot welds around the windshield frame that had any rust pitting. I also did some rust repair under the car near the control arm mount by cutting and removing, and welding in new metal.

Next I removed all the suspension, front and rear. I replaced shocks, struts, control arms, bushings, ball joints, and added some H&R springs.

Soon after I found a good deal on a used intercooler. I made mounts for it, and then trimmed the radiator support as much as needed to make it fit. I also mocked up some mandrel bent aluminum tubing.

Next was installing the headlight buckets. This car used to have squares, and only part of the round light support was used on this car when the previous owner started a swap...so the buckets are a bit custom. I welded them in because I was on a budget and I can always pull the core support some other time and do it right if I feel like it.

after 20+ hours of work on it over one weekend I hammered through a lot of body work. I had already done a ton of work on it, but this was the home stretch. I completely sanded the entire car again...DA, prime, Fill, DA, Prime, wet sand, epoxy prime, paint, etc...it was a lot of work, but well worth it. For my first big body work project, I'm happy with the results. It has plenty of flaws, but looks good enough for me. I have plenty of buffing to do on the car, but it'll look decent enough for a daily.

After that I put the taillights in and drove it around town a few times with no glass, no dash, no interior other than a seat, and no hood. Needless to say after only one weekend I got nailed by the local cops. It got parked. I just needed to drive it for motivation. Winter was here shortly after that anyway, which meant it went in my garage, so I've been working on slowly putting it back together. Glass is in, dash is in, half the door cards are done, new carpet is here and ready for install, etc. I have plenty to do, but I'm chipping away at it in hopes that the snowbank in front of my cramped garage will melt enough for me to drive out. Here is what the car basically looks like now. Black hood because I need a hood. This one is rusted bad underneath. The car looks slightly different now, I've added some trim pieces, black flags, and other stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:49 pm 
DN Member
DN Member

very cool. Did you notice much difference with the intercooler addition?

-been reduced to daily driving a 59hp mk2 jetta :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:56 pm 

squattro wrote:
very cool. Did you notice much difference with the intercooler addition?

Thanks. Yes, the intercooler did make a difference...but only at higher boost. I did a bunch of different runs with different configurations. I first ran with no interooler...boost comes on a tiny bit quicker, but when running higher boost it seemed to get too hot and the intake was way hot (not efficient). I tried a probe intercooler and that worked well, noticeably cooler, but the install wasn't very clean. Then I stumbled upon the current intercooler and threw that in. There's a little boost lag of course, but I'm real happy with it anyway. Cooler temps and noticeably stronger when running more than 10psi...I tend to run 15 but can dial it up beyond 20 with my cobbed air regulator boost controller ;) The main reason for installing the intercooler was to keep intake temps lower at higher boost, which should equal more power. More power, hehehe...more than the stock 70hp anyway :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:12 pm 

This thing is DOPE! 4 dr FTMFW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:15 pm 
DN Member
DN Member

Looks good! I love to see MK1's built as daily drivers and driven hard!

Any idea on what you might be making for HP? I bet its decently quick with all of those ft-lbs :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:23 pm 

yourmom wrote:
This thing is DOPE! 4 dr FTMFW

Lee, I sort of think I remember you from VTC...I graduated in 2001...were you there then? Anyway, thanks. Yeah, we have to represent the 4 doors this spring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:35 pm 

J17Pierson wrote:
Looks good! I love to see MK1's built as daily drivers and driven hard!

Any idea on what you might be making for HP? I bet its decently quick with all of those ft-lbs :shock:

Thanks. Yeah, this is definitely a driver. It looks decent from far away, hehe ;) You'll probably see it around Randolph in a month or so once the snow melts.

As for power...not sure. Nothing too impressive...realistically maybe around 90hp...probably a little more after I finish other pump mods. Stock numbers are 68hp @ 4500, 98ft-lbs @ 2500. It's quicker than I expected though because of all the power (hehe, right) coming on way early. I have an FN tranny with short shirt and weighted, works well to liven up the diesel. It feels stronger than an 8v gas, but we'll have to wait until I get it out to see if it really is. I'm thinking about changing the exhaust again too...maybe doing a 2.5" side exit which will help with turbo spool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:01 pm 

Yep. I'm a VTC kid. I remember you barely. I was there from 2000-04.
I work with Jarms at Blodgett.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:55 pm 

what are you doing for rims?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:31 am 

HardIce2447 wrote:
what are you doing for rims?

for now i'm going to run a set of miata wheels. I picked them up for cheap and machined the center holes to the right size, so I'll run these for a while until I find something I like better...but for budget wheels I like these, and they're different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:55 am 
DN Member
DN Member

you hack better then most. lol jk man, I love it. I liked the green hood better but its your car, not mine.

wait just noted that it was green paper... sorry small screen at work.

Germans take a stupid idea and refine it to where it works beautifully. Americans take a brillant idea and cheapen it until it sucks. Italians make it beautiful, but might not work. Brits make it ugly, and it might not work. Japanese copy whatever works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:06 am 

yeah, some day I'll either paint my junk hood or buy a new one and paint it. I just ran out of time during the weekend that we painted, and I only had that shop for the weekend. My shop is way too small and cold for painting body parts.

Small update. I painted my beat up door panels and installed them. Also put on new tails and snapped some pics of the new mirrors. my garage is cramped, so the pics suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 am 
DN Member
DN Member

I think I met a co-worker of yours this week, he came down to crossway to pick up some parts. was shooting the crap with him(when to high school togeter) and he brought up a lime grean td vw rabbit 5 door.

Germans take a stupid idea and refine it to where it works beautifully. Americans take a brillant idea and cheapen it until it sucks. Italians make it beautiful, but might not work. Brits make it ugly, and it might not work. Japanese copy whatever works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:20 pm 

small world...and I'm guessing there aren't many green 4door rabbits in the area, so it probably was a co-worker. Who was it? Brooke? If I'm thinking right then crossway is a saab place, and Brooke is the only one I know with a saab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:45 pm 

looking good!...can't wait to see some pics out in the sun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next