DubsNorth

Vermont Based VW & Audi Club
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 82 4door rabbit TD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:43 am 

rabbit's last day outside...now put away for the winter, to be torn apart for some changes

machined some bushings for some adjustable rear konis i got. This is so I could use top mounts that work with my 2.5" springs

got my jetta together and on the road...been daily driving it for a couple weeks. Fixing the little things that a 30 year old car needs. it's going to need a clutch before too long...so contemplating just putting my TD motor and trans from the rabbit into this if I have to take it apart.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:44 am 

well, i'm winter beating my mk2. I have 4 cars, two are toys that get put away for the winter, and my 2wd regular cab yota isn't the best family winter rig, so the jetta gets daily duties. I'm going to try to keep this thing from rusting apart if possible, but they're just cars and it makes more sense to drive them then let them rot in the field.

Jetta needed some height, rear was sagging bad...my driveway sucks to get out of, and after the 14.5" dumping we got the other day it was time to tackle the suspension. Had a bad mount anyway, and rear of the car doesn't rotate like I prefer (spoiled by knowing/liking how my rabbit handles). I got the suspension out of Dana's tdi donor mk3, and put the front struts/springs into the jetta. I used the stock rear shock and put a set of coilover sleeves from my rabbit (changing it's rear suspension anyway) and used some 220lb 9" rear springs. Gave me an inch or two of lift. Anyone know if it's ok to use the mk3 strut mounts in the front on an mk2? They are different of course, but fit and seem to work fine...

next will be some good mudflaps, another washing and undercoating, and they drive it until I blow it up and put the TD in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:33 pm 

guess what this picture is about? Master was leaking in the booster. Replaced the master today, wasn't as easy as it should have been, but it's done. Can't believe how much fluid was in the booster. Need to bleed the brakes and then the daily diesel will be on the road again.
Ripped the rabbit dash out. I want to redo a bunch of horrible cobs from years past, improve the cage and tie it to the strut towers, and then build a simple dash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:45 am 

trying to force myself into the garage to make at least a little progress each week. Last night I welded up a simple bracket to hold a stock passat tdi cluster. This will be the starting point for the new dash, built around this as I've got a couple of these clusters and it makes it easy. Plan is to basically weld up simple brackets and frame work to hold the cluster, controls, and gauges that I want, then I'll built a shell that covers this stuff and is easy to remove so I can access everything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:29 pm 

little time to work on this, but get a few minutes here and there...welded in that gauge bracket and got a steering quickener that i"m contemplating trying (but worried that 2:1 might be a bit much). The gauges sit nice and low now, about even with the bottom of the windshield, which will be nice. I sit low in the car and and am making the new dash as low as possible so I can see well. I'll be lowering the column as well. Just bought a new welder, so I'll be working on the cage improvements as soon as that shows up too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:14 am 

a little progress on this pile. A long way to go, but starting to take shape. No, it's not some hipster scenester pink dash, that's the protective layer on the aluminum. A lot more features to add, then will weld more tabs in and all will be mounted with dzus fasteners. I already think I rather have the stock dash, but installation and removal wasn't possible with the cage so that's why it's gone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:08 pm 
Skipper
Skipper

Nice!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:20 pm 
Turbo VR6 Master
Turbo VR6 Master

Function>form

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:31 am 

worked on the dash more, but forgot to take pics.

I'm putting this here, because some may appreciate vintage iron like I do. I found this saw in an old barn on some family property that my Grandfather grew up at. This saw was in a falling down barn for my whole childhood, I remember seeing it so many times. A few years back the barn got torn down by the people that own the land now...but before that happened I grabbed this old saw. It's never ran in my lifetime...but got it running last night. Just a cool old Lancaster saw (probably not that old, from the 60s), will pair nicely with my '53 willys...wheelin' saw.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 am 

very slowly taking shape. I don't have the tools for this stuff, another reason it takes forever...I use 2x4s, plywood, and a body hammer, yeehaw
much more to do...but taking shape at least. I will be building a small glove box to hold a boost controller and few other things (even an insurance card, he) and will be adding many more controls, including defrosters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:27 pm 

Looks like its taking shape. I just held my insurance car to the the "dash" with a magnet... glove boxes add weight :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:30 am 

progress. might actually finish it in time to race Ascutney, but who knows..still other stuff to do to after finishing this and getting more paint on it

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:51 am 

starting to look like a real dash..what you can't see is that I built a heater box out of sheet metal around a little aluminum heater core so I'll have some defrosters and heat again too

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:17 am 
Skipper
Skipper

Looks great!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:05 pm 
DN Member
DN Member

dash is looking good!

that saw is sick, perfect wheeling saw to go with that willy's.

Do you know bill lockwood? (you might have run into him at some hillclimbs): he would fill his skinny jeans if he laid eyes on that saw.

-been reduced to daily driving a 59hp mk2 jetta :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next